The task of collecting the annual “Halloween Stash” is a tough one, we know. You want to be the best on the block – the most popular house, the one the kids change their masks and come back to, the one they talk about the next day.
We at Candy Favorites know how it feels to achieve that honor (after all, we do have access to about 3,000 kinds of candy). So we’ve compiled a list of our favorites to help you achieve similar glory. We invite you to share your success (or horror) stories in the comments. After all, it takes a village to hand out great Halloween candy.
Top 5 Old-School Halloween Candies
5) Penny Candy Americana Mix – Old is the new new! Not for the faint of heart, this huge array of retro candies is best for parties, giving to a whole family, or securing your own Halloween stash. It’s not unnamed hard candy. It’s stuff you actually forgot you loved: Mary Janes, Bit O’ Honey, Necco Wafers, Atomic Fireballs, Goetz’s Caramel Creams, Root Beer Barrels, Jolly Ranchers, and other old-time favorites.
4) Brach’s Candy Corn – Brach’s is the candy of (just about everyone’s) childhood. If you’re a fan of classic candy corn, there’s none better. But if you’re excited for something newer, tastier, or chocolate-ier, Brach’s has got an array of super-sweet and more sophisticated flavors to choose from.
3) Brach’s Mellowcreme Pumpkins – These squat little treats are absolutely polarizing. While some avid fans pick through their friends’ Autumn Mix and hoard them, other kids will throw them at each other. Either way, you and your kids will have fun with them.
2) Palmer Pumpkin Pals – If it seems like Palmers makes a little foil-wrapped, melt-in-your-mouth chocolate treat for every holiday, sport, or event, it’s true. This is one of those candies you forget that you love until you run across it again. Every kid should have some Palmer chocolates in their trick-or-treat bag! As a bonus, the foil comes in handy for wrapping up the used middles of all those Blow Pops.
1) Wax Lips, Mustaches, or Fangs – The 70s are back: Red lipstick & Bushy Mustaches are SO in this year. These classic candies are tasty, fun to play with, and surprisingly new to tons of kids. These will get you dubbed “the cool house”, even if it’s only by other parents.
Top 5 Not-So-Old-School Halloween Candies
5) Pop Rocks Pumpkin Patch Orange – This mix of green and orange Halloween Pop Rocks is a limited edition. Better yet, no one is expecting pop rocks when they come to your door. They’ll make yours the top house on the block. They’re also fun to send to school with your kid.
4) Halloween Jelly Kabobs – Jelly + Candy + Icing + A STICK??? This is simply amazing. Equivalent to giving out full-size candy bars, each of these substantial skewers features 4 jelly candies decorated with tasty icing. No grilling needed (or recommended).
3) Dark or Milk Chocolate Covered Peeps – Just because they’re peeps doesn’t mean they don’t deserve to dress up (as PUMPKINS!) for trick-or-treating, too! There’s no reason to let Peeps stay stuck in the Spring. Chocolate covered peeps make an interesting, cute, and unexpected addition to your array of Halloween treats.
2) York Peppermint Batty – An extra-special treat for all, these bat-shaped York Peppermint Patties are one of the candies most likely to be stolen by parents.
1) Reese’s Peanut Butter Pumpkins – Reese’s pumpkins are no laughing matter – especially when you get caught stealing them out of your little brother’s Halloween basket. Be sure to have enough this year to satiate even
the hungriest monsters (Dad!) and freeze some for yourself.