Posts Tagged ‘halloween’
Though it may be a bit soon to start decorating, we’re sure there are more than a few of you who have already started planning your Halloween costumes for this year. But are you prepared to impress the little ghouls that come knocking on your door looking for their favorite Halloween Candies??
For most children, the best part about trick-or-treating is coming home and dumping their candy on the floor to evaluate the night’s haul. This ritual often involves dividing the best candy from the worst to decide which to devour and which to trade. In 2013, Chicago-based market research firm, IRi, completed a study to determine America’s favorite Halloween Candies. Based on the results of this study, we’ve created a list of the top 5 treats to keep your trick-or-treaters munching instead of bargaining with one another!
Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups are the most sought-after Halloween candy. Introduced in 1928, this candy is a delicious combination of milk chocolate and smooth and creamy peanut butter, so it’s no wonder kids everywhere love them. Reese’s come in various forms, from mini to pumpkin-shaped, making them the perfect treat to handout to all of your eager trick-or-treaters this year.
M&M candy was first produced in 1941 and handed out to soldiers during the war. Today, they are a trick-or-treat favorite! Check out our fun-size M&M’s assortment, which includes classic M&M’s Plain and M&M’s Peanut, for a treat that’s a Halloween sure-bet.
Snickers has been around since 1930 and has been a favorite candy around the world for years. A great treat that will ward off tricks this Halloween season, these Mini Snickers Bars will have children flocking to your front door for Halloween candy.
Another classic candy, Hershey has been making Hershey’s branded milk chocolate bars since 1900. There isn’t a kid out there that doesn’t know what a Hershey’s chocolate bar is, so satisfy their tastebuds this Halloween with these miniature-sized ones.
A delicious combination of smooth milk chocolate and light crisp wafers, the Kit Kat has been Halloween candy-lovers’ favorite since 1935. These Halloween Kit Kats feature bat wings on the wrapper, but kids won’t know which designs they’ve got until they peel back the wrapper.
If you’re wondering what to stock your Halloween bowl with this year, this selection of America’s Favorite Halloween Candies are sure to make for happy trick-or-treaters. If you need a few more ideas, you’re just a few clicks away from finding more seasonal favorites right here!
Colorful and imaginative costumes, ringing doorbells and little hands grabbing handfuls of candy out of a brimming candy dish – we think it’s safe to say that there’s no holiday quite like Halloween. But where did our traditions originate? After all, you have to admit that dressing up as your favorite character and asking virtual strangers for Halloween Candy is a bit strange.
Though many believe that trick-or-treating is just another one of those traditions cooked up by candy companies in order to generate revenue, the truth is that these traditions are rooted in history. The exact forerunners of today’s trick-or-treating habits – where children dress up, knock on neighbors’ doors and collect bucketfuls of candy – may be a bit hazy but here are a few contenders for potential influencers. Which do you think is the real inspiration for Halloween celebrations?
During the ninth century in England, November 2nd was designated “All Souls Day”, which was a time for honoring relatives and ancestors who had passed on. To celebrate, townsfolk would participate in bonfires and masquerades. In addition to festive parties, poor people would visit the houses of richer families and beg for “soul cakes” in exchange for promises to pray for the souls of the homeowners’ deceased relatives. The tradition was later taken up by children who would go door-to-door asking for gifts like food or money.
Also during the ninth century in Scotland and Ireland, young people took part in a tradition called “guising” wherein they dressed up in costumes and accepted offerings from various households. In exchange for the gifts they received, these youngsters would sing a song, recite a poem, tell a joke or perform another form of “trick”. Could this possibly be where the phrase “Trick-or-treat” came from?
In the early 20th century, many immigrants to the United States had begun to revive the traditions of “Souling” and “Guising”. However, by the 1920’s many of these traditions had devolved into pranks and vandalism rather than harmless door-to-door visits and begging. When the Great Depression struck, the issues surrounding Halloween pranking and damage became much worse. Some sources theorize that it was this costly vandalism issue that led to the organization of community-based trick-or-treating events to deter these activities.
Regardless of where these traditions came from, one thing is certain – Halloween is still the best night of the year to show off frightening costumes and gather gobs of delicious candy! But before you can indulge on the busiest candy-eating night of the year, you need to stock up! Visit candyfavorites.com and peruse our selection of tasty, sweet, cute and spooky Halloween Candy. We’re sure you’ll find just the treats you’ve been looking for!
Official Rules For #RetroCandyCostume Photo Contest
DATES OF PROMOTION: CandyFavorites.com (“Sponsors”) #RetroCandyCostume Photo Contest the “Promotion” begins at 12:00pm Eastern Time on Tuesday, September 8, 2015 and ends at 11:59 am Eastern Time on Monday September 14, 2015 (the “Promotion Period”).
ELIGIBILITY: The Promotion is open to any legal U.S. residents residing in any of the 50 United States, who are 18 years of age or older. Employees and their immediate family members (parents, children, siblings or spouse, regardless of where they live, or persons living in the same household, whether related or not) of CandyFavorites.com, its divisions, affiliates, contractors, subsidiaries, distributors, sales representatives, retailers, advertising and promotion agencies, and any others engaged in the development, production, execution or distribution of this Promotion are not eligible.
HOW TO ENTER:
- Follow @4candyfavorites on Instagram
- Upload a photo on Instagram of any objects/people that depict a favorite Halloween costume from your childhood that you, or a family member, wore and tag #RetroCandyCostume
Limit one photo per entry, multiple entries allowed. Winner(s) will be selected randomly on September 14, 2015 at 5:00pm (EST). Photos posted after the end of the Promotional Period will not be eligible to win. In the event of a dispute regarding the identity of the person submitting an entry, the entry will be deemed submitted by the person in whose name the email account is registered. Entries will be deemed made by the authorized holder of the Instagram account that posted the photo. Make sure to follow @4candyfavorites on Instagram so we can send you a direct message if you win.
WINNING & NOTIFICATION: Four (4) winners will be randomly selected by CandyFavorites.com from a pool of eligible entries on September 14, 2015 at 5:00pm (EST). By participating in this Promotion, account holder certifies that his/her post is original, has not been previously published or won any other promotion, and does not contain any material that would violate or infringe on the rights of any third party, including copyrights, trademarks, or rights of privacy/publicity. Sponsor reserves the right in its sole and unfettered discretion to disqualify any entry that it believes contains obscene, offensive or inappropriate content, that does not comply with these official rules or that is not consistent with the spirit or theme of the contest. The decision of the Sponsor is final and binding on all matters related to the Contest. The selected winner has one (1) week to claim their PRIZE. CandyFavorites.com will contact winner via Instagram Direct message to the Instagram account that uploaded the photo entered in the Promotion. In the event that the winner does not claim his or her prize by September 22, 2015 5:00pm (EST) one week after received notification, a new winner will be selected based on the criteria outlined above.
PRIZE: Four (4) winners will each receive one (1) Americana Mix Candy Jar. Americana Mix Candy Jar valued at $19.99. No prize substitutions except at Sponsor’s sole discretion or as otherwise provided herein. The value of the prize may be taxable as income and Winners are solely responsible for any taxes on the prize, including, but not limited to all applicable federal, state and local taxes if applicable. No more than the number of prizes set forth in these Official Rules will be awarded (1).
PRIVACY STATEMENT: Entering the Promotion constitutes permission for the Sponsor and its agencies to use participants’ photos, captions, any accompanying materials, and names (first name and last initial) for the purpose of advertising or promotion via consumer newsletter and social media channels (Instagram/Twitter/Facebook/Google+/Pinterest) without compensation, unless prohibited by law. Should the company choose to use this content for promotional purposes, entrant is not entitled to compensation or credit.
NO LIABILITY: By participating, entrants agree to release, discharge, indemnify and hold harmless the Sponsor, Instagram and Promotion Entities and each of their respective officers, directors, employees, representatives and agents from and against any claims made by winners, entrants, or any other third parties, related in any way to the operation of this Promotion as well as any other claims, damages or liability due to any injuries, damages or loss to any person (including death) or property of any kind resulting in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from acceptance, possession, misuse of any PRIZE or participation in any Promotion-related activity or participation in this Promotion.
FURTHER INFORMATION & WINNERS LIST REQUEST: Participants can have further information about the Promotion and receive notice of the PRIZE winner by contacting email@example.com by September 22, 2015.
SPONSOR: CandyFavorites.com, 1101 Fifth Avenue McKeesport, PA 15132. This offer shall not be published without the written permission of the Sponsor.
1) Bubble Gum Necklaces: Put a twist on the cherished candy necklace by creating a Gumball necklace! Poke a hole on both sides of the gumball (a fork prong is good for that) and lace your necklace with a ribbon or string of black cord. Fun to make – and just as fun to bite off – piece by piece!
2) Decorate a Snowman: Gumballs are great for the winter to decorate your snowman! When it’s time to bring down your snowman, break the gumball into pieces and make a bowl of snow ice cream (mixed with your tasty gumball pieces, of course)!
3) Teaching Aid: Gumballs are great for teaching colors, counting and even matching! For a fun matching game with preschoolers, gather your favorite gumballs and an egg carton. In one row put a different colored gumball. Have your child pick a gumball from a bowl and place it in the empty row next to the matching color. Congratulate your little learner with a couple gumballs of their own!
4) Super Fun Fizzy Drinks: Fill a glass with a clear carbonated beverage, (7Up or Sprite) and then drop your favorite gumball into each glass. Use clear cups/containers to make your drinks so you can watch the color change to the color of your gumball! The gumball will become white and your Fizzy Drink will transfer to the sweet drink of your favorite color gumball.
5) Gumball Wreath: Gather a big bag of gumballs, along with a hot glue gun, a foam wreath and a long ribbon. Glue each gumball to your wreath and wrap the ribbon around the top to create a hanger – voila! A gumball wreath!
6) Gumball Garland will add a splash of color to your spring decorations or even to your Christmas tree! Sort of like the gumball necklace but with a much longer piece of cord. The fun part of a gumball garland is using different sized gumballs for this creation.
7) Decorating with gumballs can be fun for any occasion – parties, special events, sleep over treats, and even your kitchen décor. Stop by any craft supply store for clear plastic tubes that you can fill up with gumballs for school parties, community events and sleep overs. They are also great for birthday parties and trick-or-treaters on Halloween. Fill up baby food jars and baby bottles for guests at your baby shower. Add an array of color to your kitchen decorations by filling a glass bottle with gumballs.
8) Health Benefits: Did you know that there are some health benefits to gumballs? It’s true! Chewing gumballs increases saliva in your mouth which helps remove plaque and freshen your breath. Chewing gumballs enhances your concentration and memory and increases your metabolism. Studies have shown that when you chew gumballs while you study for a test, and then chew that same flavor gumball during the test it helps you remember everything that you went over during your study session.
9) Cakes and Cupcakes: Decorating cakes and cupcakes with gumballs makes it extra special! Whether you cover your cake with gumballs or top off your frosted cupcake with a colored gumball, these are sure to be a crowd pleaser for any event. It’s always extra sweet when you use gumballs to spell out a word, a letter, or a number (great for birthday parties and anniversaries)!
A Gumball Surprise Cake is a must-have for parties and holidays and easy to make too. Bake a 2-layered cake. Place the first layer down, dig a hole out of the center, but not all the way through. Now do the same to the top layer but cut all the way through. Ice inside and bottom of the holes. Place top layer back on and pour your gumballs inside the hole. Trim the top piece (if necessary to fit) and replace it on top of the cake. Ice the cake as you normally would. There you have it – a Gumball Surprise Cake!
10) Chew it! Keep it with you for road trips and days at the park. With such a wide selection of gumballs at Candy Favorites there is a different color for every day of the week. Have a certain interest in mind, then color coordinate baggies of gumballs – Orange Gumballs for basketball games, White Gumballs for Miniature Golf and even Black Gumballs for Halloween (and you can call these gumballs – vampire eyes!).
Always keeping your best interest at heart, Candy Favorites also carries sugar free gumballs. And add some giggles to your bowl of gumballs by including our Nerds-Filled Gumballs!
Not since the (now long past) beginning of Cadbury Mini Egg Season have specific-seasonal-candy fanatics been faced with such great opportunity. But with great potential for joy comes the threat of another year of strife! The time for Brachs Mellowcreme Pumpkin aficionados to act is now.
Thanks to CandyFavorites, you can stock up on Brachs Mellowcreme Pumpkins now. You can have them delivered to your door or directly to the person who hides secret deliveries for you. And you can receive them in a rare and profoundly satisfying 5-lb shipment. Don’t count on grocery or drug stores. Other people are staking out the truck-arrival times! (You work during the truck arrival times!) Get your Mellowcreme Pumpkins now, and not only will you have all the Mellowcreme-y goodness you could ever need. You’ll also be master of your domain.
As with any passion, we bond over our love of Brachs Mellowcreme Pumpkins. Over our frustration with Harvest Mix, over whether to cream them, over whether they actually contain fat. These passions cause us to lose friends, too. (But, you know, more Pumpkins for you when that happens.) But if applied correctly, Mellowcreme Pumpkins can be transformed into first-rate social currency. Here’s how to have happiness (not just, “Ooooh, I have so many Mellowcremes happiness.” That, plus real, legit, all-of-life happiness).
How to make Brachs Mellowcreme Pumpkins = Happiness:
- Order our 5 lb. bag of Brachs Mellowcreme Pumpkins. < (Just click this link!)
- Hide roughly half of them from yourself. This should be fairly simple, as you just have to entrust them to a friend who genuinely couldn’t care less.
- Enjoy your roughly 2.5-pound personal stash.
- Talk incessantly to your Brachs-Mellowcreme-Pumpkin-loving friends about how much you’re enjoying said stash.
- Wait until they’re impossible to find in stores. This may involve waiting through about 1 hour of post-Halloween candy-clearance time. Encourage your friends to have unflagging determination to find a treasure trove of clearance Pumpkins. Also reinforce the absolute truth that only Brachs Mellowcreme Pumpkins are actually Mellowcreme Pumpkins and that no generic substitute could ever sate their ever-growing need for the real deal.
- Recover your hidden 2.5 pounds of Pumpkins from your patient, if befuddled, friend, mentioned in step 2.
- Determine whether you can part with some of your stashed Pumpkins, or if you need to buy another 5 lb. bag from Candy Favorites.
- Portion out whatever quantity of Mellowcreme Pumpkins you’re willing to share. (These don’t have to be equal, and portion sizes can certainly be in proportion to the amount that you care for and enjoy the company of each friend. Don’t forget to include a portion for yourself for the middle of summer.)
- Surprise your friends with delightful deliveries. Don’t just say, “Of course I’ll share my Mellowcreme Pumpkins with you, my dear friend.” Make it a big deal. Because it is a big deal. We’re talking about giving away your rations of life-sustaining goodness!
- Receive whatever you want most in life — love, glory, honor, accolades, forgiveness, peace, and the end of hunger in your lifetime (only amongst your friends, of course, and with regard to the very specific hunger for Brachs Mellowcreme Pumpkins.)
If this doesn’t work, make new friends. They’ve clearly been deceiving you with a false, less-than-all-in sort of love for Mellowcreme Pumpkins. And when someone does that, you’ve no use for them. You, after all, are a person who will share your favorite hard-to-find thing out of the goodness of your heart 😉
You’ve all been there. That person that you just want to kill sometimes, but you still love them. Ok well I’m applying this concept to candy. Not just any candy. I’m talking about THE candy. You see this candy and the first thought in your head is Halloween. With Halloween fast approaching, I thought this would be a good topic to discuss. So without further ado (drum roll please)…
Candy Corn!!! Yes I’m talking about the tiny yellow, orange, and white candies. I love them, I really do. Not only are they yummy, but they really put you in the Halloween spirit! I used to love getting little packages of candy corn when I would go trick or treating as a child (ok and as a teenager).
But as much as I love candy corn, there are times, like in those love/hate relationships that I can’t stand them. If you’ve ever had slightly stale candy corn, you know what I’m talking about. The sweetness is gone, and bitterness fills you up (much like those relationships!). However, unlike relationships, with candy corn, this can be avoided. Simply, don’t let your candy corn go stale! And if you are the one handing them out to the kids on Halloween, make sure they are not from last years stash. Save the kids from the bitter candy corn. The world will be a better place.
Until next time, this is Kandy K … stay sweet!!