Brach’s Neapolitan Coconut Sundaes , a Valiant Effort

Wednesday, March 3rd, 2010 by Jon
Brach's Neopolitan Sundaes are a hard to find candy that are one of the original Brach's candies...

We are sad to report that these delicious candies were permanently DISCONTINUED as of June 2012

Sharability: 8

Denture Danger: 7

Convenience: 9

Novelty: 5

Overall: 7

This one is for those who are coco for coconut. This sticky brick of candy incorporates the three colors and an attempt at the three classic sundae flavors, chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry. Striped brown, white, and pink this Sundae, though clever with the name, is not more than a colorful coconut block.

I’m not complaining about it by any means, but I don’t want you to be misled into thinking that this was some sort of triflavored candy when really it is quite monoflavored.

This is a conveniently individually wrapped candy that can be unwrapped and eaten during movies or business meetings, during classes or lying on the beach next to palm trees. Feel the tropical groove with the coconut move.

Neapolitan ice cream is the three flavors (chocolate, vanilla, strawberry) all lined up, aesthetically similar to this Brach’s candy. Neapolitans originated in Italy, which is why it puzzles me how this originally Italian idea seems so tropical with this coconut twist. Either way, it’s a prize possession for the coconut fanatics.

(My favorite Neapolitan type dessert is the freeze dried Neapolitan ice cream)

Sources:

Tags: ,

13 Responses to “Brach’s Neapolitan Coconut Sundaes , a Valiant Effort”

1. Suzanne says:

I have a bet going! Didn’t these originally have a stripe of carmel in them too?

2. Suzanne says:

I have a bet going! Didn\’t these originally have a stripe of carmel in them too?

3. brian says:

these are in fact 3 flavors

4. JoshuaX says:

Suzanne: nope. No carmel. Always just the 3 flavors.

5. Big D says:

Sorry to disagree with you JoshuaX, but Suzanne is right. These did come woth a caramel stripe at one time. They were one of my faves and I would save the caramel bite for last.

6. They DID have a caramel layer at one time! I ate a lot of these when I was a kid and I remember that well. I was devastated when I couldn’t find them anymore with caramel, because they were my all time favorite candies. The caramel layer really made it. I wish they would make them like that again.

7. Tavis says:

Are these Gluten Free?

8. Just Me says:

I too remember the caramel layer! Not the same without it.

9. Mary Ortiz says:

Yes these did have the carmel in it, I have been looking for the originals with the carmel if some one knows where they sell them send location also the Astro pops from back in the Day, wish I could also find them.. Thanks

10. JessicaP says:

Astro pops are on their way back! http://www.astropopcandy.com/

11. Steve says:

I’ve been looking for those neapolitan candies with the caramel stripe too, but can’t find them anywhere. Please help!!!

12. SueL says:

Yes…yes…YES! The caramel layer! I agree that was the best part. But I’m afraid the four-layer variety must have gone to the candy graveyard, along with the Black Cows of my youth. Caramel suckers (like a Sugar Daddy), only covered in a layer of chocolate! :O) Ooh, and Toy Cookies. Animal Crackers just aren’t the same…

13. Dane says:

I had an ice cream today that reminded me of these candies. Totally agree with “author”/OP. Tasted like a caramel with coconut to me. And that’s exactly the flavors of the ice cream. Sea salted caramel and fresh coconut gelato. Brought back memories of grandmas place around Christmas.